The mission of the Thrift Shop of Aspen is to sell donated goods at affordable prices, to make grants to other non-profit organizations in the Roaring Fork Valley, and to provide scholarships to Roaring Fork Valley area high school graduates.
The Thrift Shop of Aspen was started in 1949, to help the old “citizens hospital” which was in an Victorian home at the base of Red Mountain. The attic was remodeled to provide housing for 2 or 3 nurses. When the hospital hired several more nurses, the Thrift Shop helped pay their salaries. Next, the Thrift Shop helped the Red Brick School which now houses the Red Brick Center for the Arts. Initially we were instrumental in starting the first kindergarten and the first hot lunch program for the school. For many years we supported only the hospital and the school but eventually we began to support the Aspen Ski Club and the rest is history. The Thrift Shop was first located in the old assay office on E. Hopkins Avenue across the street from our present location. As business grew it hopped around town, to the lean-to attached to the Armory that is now City Hall and then for years at the Wheeler Opera House by the alley. The store has been in its current location between the fire station and Peaches Cafe since 1983 except for the temporary move while the fire station and Thrift Shop were being rebuilt.
Watch the video on the history of The Thrift Shop of Aspen.
The store’s hours are 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Saturday.